The Safer Community app is being made available to support the university community during the COVID-19 pandemic. Safer Community offers the most convenient, most secure and most direct tool for managing your COVID-19 testing and building-access status during Spring Semester 2021. Use of the app is strongly recommended for all students, faculty and staff.Download the App Help and Support Using the App Privacy FAQ Additional Resources
Download the App
Help and Support
The Safer Community app has support documentation to help app users troubleshoot known errors and issues within the app.
Using the App
The Safer Community app has a number of features to help maximize on-campus health and safety.
Testing Results & Information
Students, faculty and staff with active university IDs can use the Safer Community app to access information about their testing schedule and results including:
- Personalized on-campus testing reminders
- Personalized & private on-campus testing results
- On-campus testing site locations & hours
More information about the university's testing program is available on the Spring 2021 Saliva-Based Testing page.
All students, faculty and staff will need to verify their Building Access before being allowed to enter university facilities. The Safer Community app is the the easiest and most reliable method of verifying building access. Your personalized granted-access or denied-access status for entry to university classrooms and facilities is based on these factors:
- Your on-campus testing status (up-to-date or not)
- Your exposure notification status (not exposed or exposed)
- Your COVID-19 status (negative or positive)
- Your quarantine status (not in quarantine, in quarantine)
- Your self-reported symptoms
Note: The Building Access Status display does not show any personalized health information.
More information about the Building Access process and about Wellness Support Associates is available on the on the Spring Testing page.
- You can enable Safer Community app to anonymously notify you of possible COVID-19 exposures
To participate in exposure notification, you must:
- Enable the Exposure Notification feature during the app setup or in the Settings menu
- Allow Safer Community to use Bluetooth and location services when prompted
- Allow Safer Community to display notifications
Safer Community generates local notifications to keep the Bluetooth scanning system engaged while your phone is locked or while exposure notification is working in the background. Your phone may display a notification that says "Checking for exposures..." while exposure notifications are enabled.
Exposure Notification is triggered only by a contact that is considered a likely risk. Not every person you are near will be evaluated to determine exposure risk. These settings are adjusted by local health authorities as they evaluate the effectiveness of the Exposure Notification system.
Health & Wellness Information
The Safer Community app provides access to features for health & safety for faculty, staff and students including:
- A symptom-scale for automated self-assessment
- Personalized guidance and next steps for responding to an exposure or positive test results
- Most recent guidelines from the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department
- Contact information for virtual-care teams from local healthcare providers
Built to Protect Your Privacy
The safety and privacy of our faculty, staff and students is our top priority. We have built this app with privacy at its foundation. It collects as little data as possible and has strong data security. For more information about how we have prioritized privacy and security, visit the Safer Community Privacy Statement.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I get help or more information if something seems wrong with the app or I receive an error or message (e.g. “Potential Exposure”) that I don’t understand?
A good place to start is the Safer Community app support documentation which is updated frequently. The documentation contains information and workarounds for known bugs and problems.
You can view the Safer Community app support documentation online.